I watched the Universal movie “The 355” released on January 7, 2022, on Netflix DVD. When a top-secret weapon falls into mercenary hands, a wild card CIA agent joins forces with three international agents on a lethal mission to retrieve it, while staying a step ahead of a mysterious woman who’s tracking their every move. The title is derived from Agent 355, the codename of a female spy for the Patriots during the American Revolution. The film was produced and directed by Simon Kinberg (Produced Jumper, X-Men: First Class, Elysium, X-Men: Days of Future Past, This Means War, Fantastic Four,
Cinderella, The Martian, Deadpool, X-Men: Apocalypse, Logan, Murder on the Orient Express, Deadpool 2, Dark Phoenix, The New Mutants).
Filming began in July 2019, shooting between Paris, and London, using locations including Senate House. Filming was scheduled for Morocco but had to be canceled. They built a set in London that made you feel you were looking at Marrakesh, with goods and tiles bought directly from Morocco.
- Jessica Chastain as CIA officer Mason “Mace” Browne – Lawless, Zero Dark Thirty, The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby, Interstellar, The Martian, Crimson Peak, The Huntsman: Winter’s War, Dark Phoenix, The Forgiven, The Eyes of Tammy Faye
- Penélope Cruz as DNI agent and psychologist Graciela Rivera – All the Pretty Horses, Blow, Vanilla Sky, Gothika, Sahara, Bandidas, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Zoolander 2, Murder on the Orient Express
- Fan Bingbing as MSS agent Lin Mi Sheng – a Chinese actress. From 2013 to 2017, she was included as the highest-paid celebrity in the Forbes China Celebrity 100 list after ranking in the top 10 every year since 2006. She appeared on Time magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in 2017.
- Diane Kruger as rival German BND agent Marie Schmidt – National Treasure, National Treasure: Book of Secrets, Inglourious Basterds, Unknown
- Lupita Nyong’o as former MI6 agent Khadijah Adiyeme – Non-Stop, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Black Panther, Black Panther, TV Episodes (voice) Star Wars Forces of Destiny, Star Wars Rebels
- Sebastian Stan as Nick Fowler, a CIA officer and Mace’s former colleague – Hot Tub Time Machine, Black Swan, Captain America: The First Avenger, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Ant-Man, The Martian, Captain America: Civil War, Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Endgame, TV Episodes of Gossip Girl, Once Upon a Time, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Marvel Studios: Assembled
- Édgar Ramírez as Luis Rojas, a DNI agent – The Bourne Ultimatum, Wrath of the Titans, Zero Dark Thirty, Point Break, The Girl on the Train, Jungle Cruise
- John Douglas Thompson as Larry Marks, Mace and Nick’s superior at the CIA – an English-American actor. The New York Times critic Ben Brantley described Thompson as “one of the most compelling classical stage actors of his generation”
- Sylvester Groth as Jonas Muller, Marie’s superior at the BND – Inglourious Basterds, The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
- Jason Flemyng as Elijah Clarke, a powerful crime lord – The Jungle Book, Rob Roy, Spiceworld: The Movie, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, Deep Rising, Rock Star, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Transporter 2, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Clash of the Titans, Kick-Ass, The Social Network, X-Men: First Class, Hanna
- Raphael Acloque as Abdel, Khadijah’s lover – Mission: Impossible – Fallout, TV episodes of 24: Legacy
- Oleg Kricunova as Pyotr Khasanov – is a Spanish actor and be is able to speak fluent Russian and English, which has been a good asset in Oleg being successfully cast for roles in Europe and the USA.
- Leo Staar as Grady, a CIA agent – s an English actor, best known for his portrayals of Alec Jesmond in Call the Midwife and Inspector Lapointe in Maigret
- Jason Wong as Stevens – is a British actor, best known for his role as Kai on ITV’s Strangers.
- Emilio Insolera as Giovanni Lupo, a professional hacker – an actor and producer, known for Sign Gene: The First Deaf Superheroes (2017)
Jessica Chastain proposed the idea for a female-led spy film in the same spirit as the Mission: Impossible and James Bond series to her X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019) director Simon Kinberg while in production on that film.
This 124-minute movie is fast-paced, well-acted and asks some interesting questions about where one’s loyalty lies.Stephen Romel – The Australian
I liked the movie, the 2 hours was about right and all the extras on the DVD were great. I’ll give this film 3.8 out of 4 stars.
- Agent 355 (died after 1780) was the code name of a female spy during the American Revolution, part of the Culper Ring. Agent 355 was one of the first spies for the United States, but her real identity is unknown. The number 355 could be decrypted from the system the Culper Ring used to mean “lady.
- Senate House is the administrative centre of the University of London, situated in the heart of Bloomsbury, London, immediately to the north of the British Museum.