I watched the 1972 dark comedy MGM horror film “Dr. Phibes Rises Again” on Svengoolie. Following his murderous quest for vengeance in the previous film, “The Abominable Dr. Phibes“, Dr. Anton Phibes evades capture by placing himself in suspended animation in a sarcophagus shared with his wife’s body. He plans to return when the Moon enters into a specific alignment with the planets not seen in 2,000 years. Three years later, the conjunction occurs and Phibes rises from his sarcophagus.
Summoning his silent assistant Vulnavia (Valli Kemp, replacing Virginia North), Phibes prepares to take Victoria’s body to Egypt; there, in a hidden temple, flows the River of Life, promising resurrection for Victoria and eternal life for them both.
Emerging from his basement, Phibes discovers that his mansion has been demolished. A safe, containing an ancient papyrus map of the river, is now empty. Like the previous movie “The Abominable Dr. Phibes” it is produced by Louis M. Heyward and directed by Robert Fuest
- Vincent Price as Dr. Anton Phibes – (May 27, 1911 – October 25, 1993) Tower of London, The Invisible Man Returns, The House of the Seven Gables, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, The Three Musketeers, House of Wax, The Ten Commandments, The Fly, House on Haunted Hill, Return of the Fly, The Tingler, Pit and the Pendulum, Tales of Terror, Tower of London, Beach Party, The Raven, The Haunted Palace, The Comedy of Terrors, The Last Man on Earth, The Masque of the Red Death, The Tomb of Ligeia, War-Gods of the Deep, Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine, Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs, The Trouble with Girls, The Oblong Box, Scream and Scream Again, Welcome to My Nightmare, Michael Jackson’s Thriller, Edward Scissorhands, TV episodes of Egghead on Batman, F-Troop, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Get Smart, The Hilarious House of Frightenstein, The Brady Bunch, Columbo, The Bionic Woman, The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo
- Robert Quarry as Darius Biederbeck – (November 3, 1925 – February 20, 2009) Agent for H.A.R.M., Count Yorga, Vampire, The Return of Count Yorga, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, Madhouse, Beverly Hills Vamp, Alienator, Teenage Exorcist, Mind Twister, TV episodes of Sea Hunt (Bill Hill)
- Valli Kemp as Vulnavia – (born 19 November 1950) is an Australian former model and actress turned fashion designer, painter, and art teacher, The Games, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, Rollerball, The Great Muppet Caper
- Peter Jeffrey as Inspector Trout – (18 April 1929 – 25 December 1999) Countess Dracula, The Abominable Dr. Phibes, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, The Return of the Pink Panther, Midnight Express, Doctor Who The Androids of Tara, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, The Tale of Sweeney Todd
- Fiona Lewis as Diana Trowbridge – (born 28 September 1946) The Fearless Vampire Killers, Joanna, Villain, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, Lisztomania, Tintorera, Strange Invaders, Innerspace, TV Dracula (1974, TV movie)
- Hugh Griffith as Harry Ambrose – (30 May 1912 – 14 May 1980) Ben-Hur, Mutiny on the Bounty, Tom Jones, How to Steal a Million, Oliver!, The Abominable Dr. Phibes, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, Legend of the Werewolf, The Hound of the Baskervilles
- Peter Cushing as Captain – (May 26, 1913 – August 13, 1994) The Man in the Iron Mask, Moulin Rouge, The Curse of Frankenstein, The Abominable Snowman, Dracula (1958), The Revenge of Frankenstein, The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Mummy, The Brides of Dracula, Captain Clegg, The Evil of Frankenstein, The Gorgon, Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors, The Skull, Dr. Who and the Daleks, Island of Terror, Daleks’ Invasion Earth 2150 A.D., Frankenstein Created Woman, The Blood Beast Terror, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, Incense for the Damned, Scream and Scream Again, The Vampire Lovers, The House That Dripped Blood, I, Monster, Tales from the Crypt, Dracula A.D. 1972, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, Asylum, Fear in the Night, Horror Express, The Creeping Flesh, And Now the Screaming Starts!, The Satanic Rites of Dracula, From Beyond the Grave, Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell, The Beast Must Die, Madhouse, The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires, Tender Dracula, Legend of the Werewolf, The Ghoul, At the Earth’s Core, Land of the Minotaur, Grand Moff Tarkin in Star Wars, Shock Waves, TV episodes ofSherlock Holmes in The 1968 BBC TV episodes, The Avengers, Space:1999, Tales of the Unexpected
- Beryl Reid as Miss Ambrose – (June 17, 1919 – October 13, 1996) Inspector Clouseau, The Beast in the Cellar, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, Psychomania, TV episodes of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Doctor Who
- Terry-Thomas as Lombardo – (July 10, 1911 – January 8, 1990) It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines, Munster, Go Home!, Jules Verne’s Rocket to the Moon, The Abominable Dr. Phibes, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, The Vault of Horror, The Hound of the Baskervilles, TV episodes of What’s My Line?, The Terry-Thomas Show, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., The Red Skelton Hour, Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In
- John Cater as Superintendent Waverley – (January 17, 1932 – March 21, 2009) The Abominable Dr. Phibes, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, Captain Kronos – Vampire Hunter,TV episodes of Doctor Who, The Avengers
- Gerald Sim as Hackett – (4 June 1925 – 11 December 2014) King Rat, The Man Who Haunted Himself, Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde, Frenzy, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, A Bridge Too Far, Patriot Games
- Lewis Fiander as Baker – (January 12, 1938 – May 24, 2016) Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, Sweeney 2, The Doctor and the Devils
- John Thaw as Shavers – (January 3, 1942 – February 21, 2002) Dr. Phibes Rises Again, Sweeney!, Sweeney 2, Lots of British TV
- Keith Buckley as Stewart – (April 7, 1941 – December 1, 2020) Virgin Witch, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, The Eagle Has Landed, The Spy Who Loved Me, Excalibur, The Star Chamber, Sky Bandits
- Milton Reid as Cheng – (April 29, 1917 –1987) Blood of the Vampire, Swiss Family Robinson, Dr. No, Casino Royale, Berserk!, The Blood on Satan’s Claw, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, The Return of the Pink Panther, The Spy Who Loved Me, No. 1 of the Secret Service, Terror
- John Comer as Ship’s Officer – (March 1, 1924 – February 11, 1984) There’s a Girl in My Soup, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, Lots of British TV
- Caroline Munro as photos of Victoria Regina Phibes – (born January 16, 1949) Casino Royale, The Abominable Dr. Phibes, Dracula A.D. 1972, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, Captain Kronos – Vampire Hunter, The Spy Who Loved Me, Maniac, The Last Horror Film, Slaughter High, Flesh for the Beast
When they decided to bring back Vulnavia from the dead, Virginia North was pregnant, so they used Valli Kemp instead. The desert scenes in the movie were filmed in Ibiza, Spain.
… delivers one of his priceless theatric performancesVariety writing about Vincent Price in this film
There was a lot of hostility between Vincent Price and Robert Quarry, particularly when Price discovered that AIP was planning to replace him with Quarry as their major horror film star.
The kills this time were by a gold snake in one ear and out the other, choking and throwing overboard in a bottle. Phibes kills each of Biederbeck’s men using methods inspired by Egyptian mythology: one man is killed by a hawk, another by scorpions.
The next died from a giant screw press crushing him and then another was sandblasted. Gary Owens was the narrator of the movie. He was a radio announcer, personality, disc jockey, and voice actor. His polished baritone speaking voice generally offered deadpan recitations of total nonsense, which he frequently demonstrated as the announcer on Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In.
I like Vulnavia a little better in the previous movie but Valli Kemp did a good job. I guess it would not be necessary to have seen the previous movie but I believe you would appreciate this one more if you had. Although they certainly set up the third film, it would never happen. I enjoyed this movie almost as much as the first so I’m giving it 4.85 out of 5 stars.
- Variety is an American media company owned by Penske Media Corporation. The company was founded by Sime Silverman in New York City in 1905 as a weekly newspaper reporting on theater and vaudeville.